Hunters’ paradise by silamstar

"What did I do to be so lucky?"

2-dollar-mail.com
My Photo
Name:
Location: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia

I am not a hunter for animals, I do not support killing animals for body parts. I only hunt for collectibles.

Friday, October 09, 2009

Post WWII perfin

I tried to write on my facebook but the result isn't as good as here, so I'm coming back.

Acquired these two a few months ago among a small lot, thought it was interesting. Perfin after WWII for security purposes wasn't as common as pre-war. The other one I had on a 1950s Sarawak stamp was sold for a few bucks a couple of years ago. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge on post-WWII perfin in Asia, so I'll keep these two for a while for reference.
I am no expert in this field, so I'll be grateful if someone can comment on this or refer me to some reading or information.

My next posting will be a KALAKA, SARAWAK postmark, and I hope g-matang will get ready to comment on it :)


3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Behm said...

According to "Perfins of British Malaya" (P. Giffen, 1989), your perfins are from Shell Oil Co., Singapore. Shell was a name change from Asiatic Petroleum Co., which was an amalgamation of the Shell Transport Co. and the Royal Dutch Petroleum Co. The perfin is known on two values of BMA (SG 4 and 8) and 12 values of Singapore (SG 3 - 31). The perfin was used between 1945 and 1950.

1:43 AM  
Blogger silamstar said...

Thank you very much Michael for the information. I am really grateful that someone would share information on a subject I am not familiar with. I visited your COSGB & feel that you may know if 'perfin' stamps are rare after WWII in this part of the world (North Borneo,Sarawak, Singapore & Malaya)? I seldom see them, 'overprint' is more common, right ?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Michael Behm said...

In addition to the SHELL, the post-WW2 perfins are:
CBI (Chartered Bank of India), 1949-1955; very rare
CC/GT (City Council, Georgetown, Penang) 1955-1975; moderately rare
GE/L (Great Eastern Life Assurance Co. Ltd.) 1962; very rare
LYS (L. Y. Swee) 1922-1957; moderately rare
MC/M (Municiple Commissioners, Malacca) 1954; very rare
MCP (Municiple Commissioners, Penang) 1940-1960; very rare
SIT (Singapore Improvement Trust) 1950-1974; common
SMC (Singapore Municiple Commissioners) 1922-1947; rare
S/MC (Singapore Municiple Commissioners) 1947-1974; common

The overprints I'm familiar with from that area are almost all pre-WW2. In the pre-WW2 era, I have more perfins than overprints, but that may be because I am primarily a perfin collector and just pick up company overprints when I can. Both perfins and overprints from Malaysia are difficult to find here in Ontario, Canada.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Hit Counters
Free Counters